Yoga with a Physiotherapist (“Physio Yoga”)
We offer Physio Yoga: one-on-one yoga sessions with Cynthia Chung our Certified Yoga Instructor and Registered Physiotherapist. Yoga taught by our unique instructor may look and feel familiar to what you have experienced in the past.
However, one-on-one Physio Yoga sessions also offer extra benefits:
- Training can target general health and fitness as well as injury rehabilitation and prevention, as needed.
- Physiotherapy principles can help enhance the benefits and remove the barriers of yoga for patients suffering from numerous physical injuries or conditions.
- Sessions are tax-free.
- Sessions are covered as physiotherapy under extended health insurance plans. Our receipts also qualify as a tax deductible medical expense on your tax return.
- Along with instruction, all necessary education and equipment is provided.
- We also offer yoga sessions targeted to special populations: prenatal yoga, yoga for lymphedema and yoga for cancer rehabilitation. See below for more information.
Our fee for a one-hour private yoga physiotherapy session is $144, and tax-free.
We offer yoga physiotherapy at both our Yonge and St. Clair and Danforth studios. If you would like to learn more about this service, please feel free to email us any questions you may have at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Targeted Physio Yoga Sessions for Special Populations
In addition to yoga training for general health and fitness, we also offer targeted private yoga sessions and group classes designed by our physiotherapists to meet the needs of special populations:
1. Prenatal Yoga
Prenatal yoga is a safe form of yoga that can be performed during pregnancy and after child birth. We offer private 1-on-1 sessions ($144/hr).
2. Yoga for Lymphedema Management and Prevention
A growing body of research supports the benefits of exercise, including yoga, as part of ongoing self-management of lymphedema. Early studies suggest that specialized yoga classes may help reduce the physical and psychosocial symptoms of lymphedema, including swelling, activity-avoidance, and body-image concerns. Our yoga sessions for lymphedema are designed to help increase lymphatic flow and prevent symptom exacerbation, while accommodating common physical limitations present in this population (which often includes breast cancer patients). We offer:
- Private and personalized 1-on-1 sessions ($144/hr)
3. Yoga for Cancer Rehabilitation
Exercise is a core component of cancer rehabilitation programs. Specialized yoga classes can help reduce the physical effects of cancer treatment including weakness, fatigue, and reduced mobility/flexibility, as well as psychosocial symptoms such as activity-avoidance. Our unique physiotherapist yoga instructors have extensive experience in cancer rehabilitation. We offer private 1-on-1 sessions.
Yoga and Physiotherapy Are a Natural Fit
Physiotherapists are the recognized experts in muscle and skeletal function, dysfunction and rehabilitation. Not surprisingly, a key component of physiotherapy is exercise therapy – the targeted use of muscle strengthening and stretching exercises to improve muscle function and balance, postural alignment, and optimal movement patterns. In doing so, exercise therapy can be used to reduce mobility and balance dysfunctions, pain, inflammation, and prevent re-injury or manage chronic physical conditions.
Yoga has at its core a similar focus as physiotherapy: improving muscle strength and balance, postural alignment, and optimal movement to promote fitness and health. Physiotherapists with Instructor Certification are therefore uniquely equipped to understand and deliver training that can help their clients achieve their fitness goals as well as their physical rehabilitation objectives.