Acupuncture and our Acupuncturist
Acupuncture is an ancient form of Chinese medicine that involves inserting very thin and flexible needles into the skin at specific points on the body. With almost no side-effects, it has gained significant popularity in Western medicine for the treatment of many health-related issues.
At Toronto Physiotherapy we offer acupuncture two ways:
- As an optional therapeutic tool that we regularly incorporate into our physiotherapy sessions at no added cost.
- As a comprehensive stand-alone service provided by our Registered Acupuncturist. $90 / hr, tax-free, and reimbursable as ‘acupuncture’ under extended health insurance plans. Our receipts also qualify as a tax deductible medical expense on your tax return.
What’s the difference?
Acupuncture with our Physiotherapists
Our physiotherapists have received training and certification in acupuncture for physical rehabilitation. This allows them to incorporate specific acupuncture points into their physiotherapy treatment sessions if they believe it will benefit the patient (and the patient consents to it). They use acupuncture in this way to help decrease pain and inflammation, and to promote tissue healing and optimal nerve and muscle function.
Our Physiotherapists do not use acupuncture in ways or for conditions that fall outside of their scope of practice. When acupuncture is provided by physiotherapists who are not Registered Acupuncturists, the service is reimbursable as ‘physiotherapy’ under extended health insurance plans.
Acupuncture with our Acupuncturist
The term ‘acupuncturist’ is now protected and only practitioners who have passed their acupuncturist board exams and are registered with the College of Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and Acupuncturists of Ontario (CTCMPAO) can use this title.
Acupuncture provided by our Registered Acupuncturist has a broader scope, and is also reimbursable under extended health insurance plans as ‘acupuncture’.
Our acupuncturist Lisa Chau is a unique practitioner. Not only is she a Registered Acupuncturist, she is also a Registered Physiotherapist. This means that in addition to offering comprehensive acupuncture services, she can also incorporate her considerable training and expertise into her regular physiotherapy treatment sessions.
Common Health Conditions Treated by our Acupuncturist
- Pain (such as low back pain, neck/shoulder pain)
- Stress and related musculoskeletal symptoms
- Anxiety and depression and related musculoskeletal symptoms
- Some of the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation cancer treatment
- Sleep disorders
- Digestive disorders
If you wish to see our acupuncturist for a condition that is not listed above please call us, or you can email Lisa your question directly at: firstname.lastname@example.org.